President and Chief Executive OfficerVisit Tri-Cities
Job Title: President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Visit Tri-Cities
Reports to: Board of Directors
Job Location: Tri-Cities, Washington (composed of the cities of Kennewick, Pasco, Richland, and West Richland)
Visit Tri-Cities (aka Tri-Cities Visitor & Convention Bureau), a premier Destination Marketing Organization with more than 800 members and 15 staff, is seeking its next President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The Tri-Cities is a unique place where science, agriculture, and the arts come together. Known for its scientific achievements, National Laboratory, and the Manhattan Project National Historic Park, along with hundreds of premier wineries, the WSU Wine Science Center, and endless recreational activities, the Tri-Cities is poised for significant visitor growth. The Tri-Cities’ centralized Northwest location, 75,000 square foot convention center and exceptional venues, make it an ideal destination for conventions and sports tournaments. The departing Visit Tri-Cities President & CEO has positioned the organization through relationship building to exploit Tri-Cities’ attributes. Visit Tri-Cities’ new leader will build on successes as a community conduit in expanding visitor opportunities in new areas such as science tourism to complement traditional visitor attractions, and convention & sports tournaments sales.
This position operates as the President & CEO of a 501(c)6 non-profit destination marketing organization representing the cities of Kennewick, Pasco, Richland and West Richland in Washington State. The President & CEO is employed by and responsible to the Board of Directors.
This position is responsible for the leadership, development, management, and administration of programs and activities; financial management and fundraising; supervision of employees and the hiring process of staff; and long-range planning for the continued success of Visit Tri-Cities. The President & CEO is responsible for leading the teams/departments to ensure a high level of service related to operations, convention & sports tournament sales, promotion/advertising, finance, human resources, publications, product development, etc. and achievement of the Board of Director’s mission, goals and objectives.
The ability to lead and manage in a multi-jurisdictional and diverse environment with focus on client and customer service, entrepreneurship and building and growing a strong destination marketing organization is essential to success in this role. Ability to communicate effectively with the Visit Tri-Cities Board, Tri-City Regional Hotel/Motel Commission, elected officials, city managers and support staff is critical. Profit and loss accountability and/or contract-managed service experience is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
The President & CEO will provide the highest level of leadership, management, integrity and service to our cities, clients, membership and general public by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate officers and managers:
- Operate the organization within all legal requirements of city, county, state and federal governments and staying current on legislation as it pertains to the travel and tourism industry
- Create and manage Visit Tri-Cities operations and marketing budget
- Continue to build the Visit Tri-Cities brand and increase awareness
- Manage cities, stakeholders, partner and member relations
- Attend key community and industry events
- Represent Visit Tri-Cities at industry functions
- Act as business, industry and media spokesman for Visit Tri-Cities
- Personal involvement in the public and community affairs of Visit Tri-Cities
- Produce and present annual reports to the cities and membership to secure and retain Tourism Promotion Area (TPA) assessment, hotel/motel tax, membership & sponsorship funding for Visit Tri-Cities
- Effectively lead and manage the various committees of Visit Tri-Cities
- Oversee the management of special projects, plans and studies
- Establish current and long-term goals for the staff
- Oversee the creation of opportunities for group and meeting markets as well as sports tournaments, creating an economic impact through out-of-town visitation
- Regional, statewide and national travel to tradeshows, industry meetings, etc.
- Oversee the recruitment and distribution of qualified leads to appropriate partners
- Oversee marketing and sales programs for Visit Tri-Cities
Advertising, website and social media management, collateral development, e-commerce, public relations, group/meeting and sports sales solicitation, partnerships and research
- Oversee the creation, updating and maintenance of the website
- Develop and oversee systems for tracking and reporting on marketing and sales activities
- Coordinate travel and trade show programs
- Oversee the research of the economic impact of tourism and Visit Tri-Cities program effectiveness
- Ensure the DMO’s maximum performance in line with market conditions through benchmark against agreed upon and regularly reviewed competitive set
- Continuously review comparable destinations for best practices and ideas to evolve programs and structure
- Recruit, hire and supervise staff
- Motivate staff and handle HR/personnel issues
- Maintain a pleasant, productive and efficient work environment
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors
Skill Set & Abilities
- Experienced, dynamic and successful destination marketing organization industry professional with proven leadership experience.
- Experience working with Boards and/or multiple stakeholders’ groups
- Aptitude for working with elected and government officials
- Regularly participate in and attend after-hours activities to represent Visit Tri-Cities.
- Critical thinking skills/positive attitude/consensus builder
- Respected as an influential, strategic thinker within the industry
- High work ethic and passion for the tourism industry
- Knowledge of marketing and business practices and procedures
- Knowledge of budget development and possess the skills to administer the budget and allocate limited resources in a cost-effective manner
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Possession of a personal automobile and driving privileges
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and destination marketing software
- Serve on community boards
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to develop and deliver effective public speeches and presentations
- Able to read, analyze and interpret financial reports and legal documents
Education & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in Business Administration, Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Tourism or related fields.
A minimum of five (5) years of tourism industry experience and previous DMO leadership experience is desirable.
▪ Strong Leader ▪ Consensus Builder ▪ Politically Savvy
▪ Driven ▪ Strategic Thinker ▪ Entrepreneurial
▪ High Level of Integrity ▪ Strong Work Ethic ▪ Organized
▪ Outgoing / Personable ▪ Professional ▪ Polished
▪ Good Presentation Skills ▪ Collaborative ▪ Self-Motivated
▪ Open / Transparent / Honest
▪ Inclusive / Equitable / Fair
Full time, salaried position. A competitive salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefit package includes paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave; health insurance and 401k retirement plan with company participation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Visit Tri-Cities is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will assure equal opportunity and fair employment practices to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, gender, sexual orientation, medical condition or disability as defined by law. Qualified applicants with a disability will receive reasonable accommodation during any phase of the recruitment and selection process providing such request is made at least five working days in advance.