Medical Coding Specialist
Applicants for all positions must be or become fully vaccinated against Covid-19 if selected for hire. Valid medical or religious exemptions will be considered but serial Covid-19 testing will be required to maintain employment.
Position is responsible for validating and/or extracting healthcare codes that are supported by chart documentation. Responsible for providing continuous education and feedback for assigned Providers regarding appropriate coding practices to ensure appropriate risk scores, Hierarchical Condition Categories (HCC) capture rates, and overall compliance with medical record documentation.
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Abstracts clinical information from a variety of medical records, charts, and documents to determine if appropriate healthcare diagnosis and/or procedure codes have been assigned by the Provider according to established procedures.
- Performs assigned audits and recommends actions for healthcare coding matters, utilizing coding databases to confirm diagnosis coding accuracy.
- Provides ongoing training for Providers regarding coding and documentation standards.
- Answers questions and provides guidance regarding healthcare coding.
- Education: High School diploma or General Education Development diploma (GED). Graduate of a medical coding program. Coursework in medical terminology, health records, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and compliance required.
- Experience: Total of five years' experience in healthcare coding. Includes three years' experience as a healthcare coding auditor.
- Professional Licenses/Certificates/Registration: CPC (Certified Professional Coder) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) certification required.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities Required or Preferred: Knowledge of medical terminology, medical records, investigations, and auditing. Strong knowledge of healthcare coding, HIPAA, and State applicable privacy laws. Good analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills. Skillfully exercises independent judgment and decision making. Handles sensitive situations and confidential information with discretion. Effectively prioritizes work and handles a variety of tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. Strong attention to detail and accuracy. Effective verbal, written and listening communication skills. Strong customer relation skills including handling stressful situations. Develops effective working relationships to gain trust and establish credibility. Basic proficiency with a variety of computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
We serve more than 181,000 patients across 25 medical clinics, 14 dental clinics, 10 pharmacies, and 64 program sites in two states. We are Level 3 Certified as a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH). With integrated services including medical, dental, pharmacy, orthodontia, primary care nutritional counseling, autism screening, and primary care behavioral health, YVFWC's patient-centered model of care offers patients the full spectrum of care and shelter assistance, energy assistance, weatherization, HIV and AIDS counseling and testing, home visits, and four mobile medical/dental clinics.
Working at YVFWC
Working in our organization means being the passionate champion for those who have no voice. It means having the opportunity to work with underserved populations and with peers committed to the same work.
At Farm Workers Clinic
- We will consistently trust one another to work for the common good.
- We will foster integrity by demonstrating ethical behavior and insisting on doing what we say we will do.
- We will demonstrate transparency by being candid and truthful no matter the risk.
- We will create partnerships to strengthen ourselves and our community.
- We will fight for just treatment for all individuals.
- We will let joy in.
- We have the courage to be an agent of change and refuse anything short of excellence.
Our mission celebrates diversity. We are committed to equal opportunity employment.