Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration (University Staff Professional 3)
The Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration provides strategic and visionary leadership, direction, and management of the fiscal, administrative, personnel, general administration, and facilities functions of the University of Connecticut School of Law. They direct the day-to-day operation and administration of the Law School’s Office of Finance and Administration, which is the centralized office for finances, personnel, general administration, and facilities.
This position works under the direction of the Dean of the Law School and manages professional staff as well as the business and administrative operations of the school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Carries primary responsibility for the financial management, oversight, and coordination of the Law School’s fiscal resources, including operating funds, UConn Foundation funds, and scholarship funds, and all approved budgets. Responsible for financial management areas including budgeting, accounting, record keeping, reporting, and financial control. Responsible for the Law School’s system of accounting and fiscal record keeping in accordance with standard accounting principles.
- Carries primary responsibility for the personnel management, oversight, and coordination of the Law School’s personnel functions. Serves as primary administrative liaison for the Dean on matters pertaining to personnel activities. Responsible for the final review of personnel paperwork, including search materials and payroll.
- Carries primary responsibility in areas of general administration, including acting as a liaison with facilities, public safety, information technology, and student activities. Represents the Law School on a variety of committees both within and outside the Law School.
- Collaborates as a member of the Dean's senior leadership team alongside the Associate Deans, Assistant Dean for Diversity, Belonging, and Community Engagement, and Director of International and Graduate Programs to effectively define, support, and implement long-range operational goals and objectives that strategically align to the academic plan and supports the educational, research and outreach mission of the school.
- Leads, engages, and supports staff to achieve the school's goals and objectives. Fosters a positive work culture, develops strong teams, and strengthens morale.
- Independently develops and makes recommendations on internal operating procedures, and makes changes as needed to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Serves as a primary source of information regarding the interpretation and application of policies and regulations both internal and external to the Law School. Acts independently and makes decisions within the goals, policies and procedures, and expectations of the Deans. Represents the Law School to all levels of University officials, outside agencies, and others.
- Independently develops and makes recommendations for annual budget requests for all operating funds and is responsible for the management of the approved budget. Analyzes and prepares all reports for the Law School’s annual budget review with the Provost. Prepares budget reports and projections on a regular basis.
- Approves all expenditures and ensures that expenditures are in line with the mission of the Law School as well as in compliance with University, state, federal, and other policies and procedures, regulations, and standards.
- Performs office management duties, directs workflow of the Office of Finance and Administration, determines staffing needs, and supervises the processing of administrative paperwork and maintenance of files.
- Bachelor's degree with at least ten years of related experience; or Master's degree with six to seven years of related experience.
- Experience in a leadership role effectively supervising staff.
- Ability to analyze data and prepare budget and other reports with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent written, verbal, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse staff and administrators as well as external individuals and groups.
- Adept at building trust and consensus across multiple external stakeholder groups with differing views and objectives.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize workload.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Highly proficient in working in enterprise software tools and reporting systems; analyzing data and other information; and utilizing and maintaining spreadsheets and databases.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Familiarity with University of Connecticut/State of Connecticut regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Work experience in an academic environment.
This is a full-time, 12-month position. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496603 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on August 15, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.