Administrative Program Support 3
The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics at the University of Connecticut is seeking an individual with demonstrated skill and experience in business operations and communication with a diversity of people, including students, administrative professionals, faculty, and many others. The successful candidate will be efficient, process-oriented, organized, and precise. The successful candidate will serve as the main office lead with the responsibility to oversee all business operations, including financial, human resources, payroll, and programmatic support for the Department. One full-time permanent office staff member and temporary student employees report to this position. The ideal candidate will be a team-oriented person with creative energy who values community, inclusion, excellence, and strategic growth.
The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ARE) is a lively, welcoming, and supportive community of undergraduate and graduate students from around the world, postdoctoral scholars, and award-winning faculty. The Department focuses on the economics of the food system, sustainable growth and development, environmental and natural resource economics and policy, economics of energy and climate change, and other real-world problems seen through the lens of economics, people, and policy. UConn’s ARE Department ranks among the top 25 Agricultural and Resource Economics Research Institutions worldwide, and is 17th among Agricultural and Resource Economics Departments at universities in the United States.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and manage a wide range of fiscal, administrative, and operational matters
- Serve as the fiscal officer for and manager of all department accounts, including Foundation accounts, and provide regular updates to the Department Head and faculty
- Prepare budgets, statements, and monitor all departmental budgets, including foundation accounts
- Manage human resource and payroll-related functions
- Coordinate visa request processes (J1/H1B)
- Regularly provide information on academic programs and other department activities
- Supervise and prioritize workflow of main office staff and student employees to ensure efficient office operations
- Collaborate with Sponsored Programs Services and assist in the management of post-award budgets and accounts, including setup of new projects, monitoring current projects, and closeout of completed projects
- Support Department Head and faculty with activities related to Promotion, Tenure, and Reappointment, and departmental searches
- Process Fellowships
- Prepare financial and ad hoc reports as appropriate to meet federal, state, University, and departmental requirements
- Represent department at regular college administrative meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or a related field and three (3) to four (4) years of professional experience in a responsible administrative support position OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven experience in fiscal operations, including one or more of the following: 1) analysis and evaluation of data for budget planning and assessment of current and future financial status, 2) financial reporting and financial management, and/or 3) compliance, accounting procedures, and budgeting principles.
- Demonstrated work experience in academic programs in higher education, or related experience working in a fast-paced, complex, multi-faceted office environment
- Experience developing, presenting, and interpreting financial information and reports
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to establish relationships with a variety of constituents, both internal and external to the University
- Demonstrated ability to lead others
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and financial records systems
- Demonstrated experience managing academic fiscal accounts and/or with grants and contracts management
- Experience with Kuali Financial Systems, Core-CT, HuskyBuy, and PeopleSoft, or similar enterprise systems
- Ability to problem-solve and regularly exercise sound judgment regarding fiscal and administrative procedures
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Ability to expertly manage time and deadlines, and juggle multiple competing priorities
- Supervisory experience
This is a full-time, twelve-month, UCPEA staff position with an excellent benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience, ranging from low/mid $50s to low $60s.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496225 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references (including title, organization/company, phone, and e-mail).
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on May 12, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.