The Tri-City Herald is looking for an aggressive newsroom leader with a strong editing and reporting background committed to journalism that makes a difference in people's lives.
You need a strong sense of what people are craving to know, as well as what readers need to know.
You will edit and write, collaborating with our small but mighty reporting and photo teams.This hybrid role will demand a demonstrated commitment to fairness and accuracy, in fact and in tone, and a strong grounding in journalism ethics.
And like all journalists at The Tri-City Herald, you must demonstrate a desire and skills to build engagement and growth around compelling public service journalism.
As a reporter, you will write regularly on restaurant and store openings and closings in this growing community and trends in housing and development.
Editing and managing duties will include helping edit and publish stories from staff and freelance writers, ensuring they have engaging headlines and solid SEO as we look to build on the success of niche topics that resonate with new subscribers.
Duties will include helping coach staffers and freelancers on these skills and backing up the Executive Editor.
You will help monitor our social media accounts, watch for trending digital stories of high reader interest and engage with readers.
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to accountability reporting in a way that best serves and engages the audience.
- An ability to meet deadlines and excellent communication skills.
- Sound news judgment, and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment.
- Ability to assist Executive Editor with management of newsroom employees and freelancers.
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences.
- And understanding of how to use analytics such as pageviews, digital subscription conversions and referral sources to help determine which stories resonate with which audiences.
- Ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including video.
- Ability to learn new skills and technologies, including content management systems; social media platforms and analytics tools.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism.
- Reporting experience and college degree required.
- Commitment to diverse coverage through community engagement and source building.
- Fluency in Spanish highly desirable.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).