Custodial Assistant Manager
Richland School District is accepting applications for a Custodial Assistant Manager.
See the job description at: https://richlandjobs.hrmplus.net/JobOpenings.aspx
The RSD is advertising for a leader to assist in overseeing the development, oversight, and responsibility for the District’s custodial department. The Assistant Custodial Manager assists the Custodial Manager to oversee the cleaning, disinfecting, and general care of buildings, including but not limited to all interior and exterior building surfaces, other exterior assets, and snow removal. The successful candidate will have strong content knowledge specific to custodial operations, the ability to direct and supervise departmental staff, familiarity with contractor activities (such as gym floor refurbishing), and an understanding of how strong custodial practices supports the entirety of District operations.
Richland School District encompasses the cities of Richland and West Richland. The District includes eleven elementary schools, four middle schools, two senior high schools, an alternative school with grades nine through twelve, and a home school partnership program. The District also is a partner in a regional STEM high school based in Pasco and a regional Skills Center in Kennewick.
The District receives strong support from the community with a strong history of support for levies, bonds, and programs.
Nearly 14,000 students attend schools in the Richland School District. We employ approximately 2000 staff across a wide range of positions and are proud of our staff’s ability to provide a quality educational experience for students.
1. Current ISSA Custodial Supervisor Certification
a. Or alternate. Candidates without certification agree to complete certification program within one calendar
years of hire date
2. Demonstrated knowledge and proficient use of English, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, basic math,
reading skills, and verbal communication.
3. Demonstrated experience in a leadership role.
4. Valid Washington State Driver’s License and proof of good driving record (driving abstract)
1. Assist the Custodial Manager to develop, plan, implement, and execute short- and long-term visions and goals for all District custodial activities including, but not limited to, general and specific custodial activities, ATP testing and performance, chemical evaluation and use, cleaning procedures and processes, snow removal assistance, and provide input for budget management.
2. Assist in developing, promoting, and communicating departmental and team performance expectations.
3. Understand and develop priorities and evaluate work.
4. Assist the Custodial Manager in developing team culture based on the principals of “provider of choice”, “leaders in excellence”, and “accountability”.
5. Assist the Custodial Manager in developing culture of “continuous improvement” and “questioning attitude” in all aspects of assigned duties.
6. Provide input on continuing education, adoption, and implementation of forward-looking technology in areas of custodial practices, custodial processes, chemical use, and interior asset protection and development.
7. Develop relationships and collaborate with District Administrators regarding departmental planning for cleaning processes, staffing alterations, schedule alterations, and summer/special custodial activities.
8. Maintain a positive working relationship with employee union, and all co-workers.
9. Understand and implement Union contract and grievance policies and procedures.
10. Assist the Custodial Manager to develop, implement, and enforce safe work practices.
11. Assist the Custodial Manager in developing and presenting topical presentations to various audiences including, but not limited to, School Board, trade organizations, other Districts, and staff.
12. Assist the Custodial Manager in promoting RSD management tactics and processes, successes, “lessons learned”, and any other matters of interest related to the Custodial Services department.
13. Assist the Custodial Manager in providing direct supervision and technical direction, support, and accountability for all operations of the Custodial Services staff as needed.
14. Provide input on planning, assigning, scheduling, directing, and inspecting work against established expectations.
15. Lead team by example in problem solving, customer relations, and winning attitude.
16. Review and approve leave requests and counsel staff on use of leave time in absence of Custodial Manager
17. Assist the Custodial Manager in interviews and recommend selection of new employees.
18. Provide input to performance evaluations; Coach and counsel staff to achieve expected performance objectives.
19. Assist the Custodial Manager in performing investigations for assigned staff as per policy and CBA; recommend and deliver disciplinary action for departmental staff as required.
20. Provide input to develop and manage the Custodial Services program budget, annual work plan, staff load analysis, chemical management program, related preventative maintenance programs, and any additional programmatic or systemic needs for the Custodial Services program.
21. Ensure all school district facility interior and assigned exterior areas are examined on a regular basis and that all assigned areas meet District expectations
22. Assist the Custodial Manager in preparing reports on estimated costs of proposed and ongoing projects and materials.
23. Provide input and recommendations on establishing priorities on Custodial projects.
24. Maintain a positive approach to difficult and challenging situations regarding staff, District personnel, and the public.
25. Assist in the development, tracking, and provide supervision for the training and evaluation of Custodial Services personnel.
26. Provide input to the selection of supplies and equipment for effective care of district facilities.
27. Assist the Custodial Manager in research and negotiations with vendors for products and services; i.e.: gym floor refinishing, supply sources, large or special skills projects.
28. Assist with the efficient operation and use of District custodial equipment, including:
a. Develop equipment use schedules.
b. Work with Maintenance staff to assure the efficient implementation of preventative and periodic maintenance
and all needed repair of custodial tools and specialized equipment.
29. Properly apply to all activities District policies and procedures, Collective Bargaining Agreements, Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and regulations as required.
30. Assist with maintaining records and following Federal, State, local laws, and District policies as they pertain
to purchasing of supplies and services, and chemical storage, handling, and application.
31. Assist in coordinating compliance with AHERA, Right-to-Know, ADA, and other federal/state agency
32. Support the District’s worker compensation program and staff/student accident investigations as required.
33. Assist with data gathering methods for documenting results of departmental initiatives, both positive and negative. Use this data for management and departmental “course correction”.
34. Assist administrators in resolving facility cleanliness concerns. Support special requests relating to use of District facilities as per policy and guidance.
35. Respond to emergency situations involving custodial operations, support District emergency mitigation as requested, follow standards for emergency resolution and evidence preservation.
36. Assist the Custodial Manager in the overall operation of the department and assume some or all of the Managers’ responsibilities and authority in his/her absence.
37. Assume and perform other duties as assigned by the Custodial Manager.
Conditions of Work
1. Be available for 24 hour rotating on-call responsibilities on weekends and evenings.
2. Contact and call in staff during off-hours to address emergent District needs.
3. Report/respond onsite to emergent District needs.
4. This position may be exposed to loud noises, chemical fluids and fumes, and equipment with moving parts.
5. This position will require work outdoors in potentially inclement weather
6. This position may require work at heights above ground.
7. This position will require the ability to safely use and operate District vehicles and equipment
Wage & Employment Information
• Annual Salary: $58,846 - $69,230 DOE + Appropriate Regionalization Stipend (if funded by the state)
• FLSA = Exempt
• Supervisor = Custodial Manager
• Benefits = As defined by the State Employment Benefits Board (SEBB) including medical, dental, vision, etc.
Application Procedure: This position can be applied for by visiting http://www.rsd.edu/jobs and logging into the job portal.
Questions about the electronic application or hiring process can be directed to Kathy Keenan via e-mail
(firstname.lastname@example.org) or by contacting (509) 967-6023. Questions about the job duties and technical expectations of the position can be directed to Director of Facilities & Operations Jeff Lettau (email@example.com) or by calling (509) 967-6104.
The Richland School District complies with all federal and state laws and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, or ancestry, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, age, familial or marital status, honorably discharged veteran or military status. This applies to all educational programs, extra-curricular activities, and employment.
Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference should contact Tony Howard, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be sent to Todd Baddley, Assistant Superintendent (email@example.com), and inquiries regarding
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (concerning students with disabilities who are not eligible for special education) may be directed to Brian Moore,
Assistant Superintendent (firstname.lastname@example.org). Inquiries regarding accommodations for disabled employees and the public should be directed to Mr. Howard in Human Resources. These individuals may be contacted by mail at 6972 Keene Rd., West Richland, WA 99353, by e-mail as noted above,
or by phone at 509-967-6000.