BookkeeperKennewick First United Methodist Church
Position Description: Part-Time Bookkeeper
This position is integral to the smooth operation of a medium sized church. The incumbent covers payroll, filing of payroll taxes, accounts payable, general ledger and reports unique to a church environment. The position supports the senior pastor and the Finance and Stewardship Committee. The incumbent has contacts with the staff and congregation members, answers questions, and provides guidance.
The incumbent must be proficient with Quick Books Pro 2018, MS Excel, and MS Word. The position requires a high school diploma and a minimum of 1 year of bookkeeping experience. Effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
Desired Qualifications: Accounting schooling is beneficial.
Time Requirements: It is expected that the position will require 15-20 hours per week with more during monthly closing and reporting.
- Internal Controls - Because there is only one accounting/ bookkeeping position, it is important to keep as much control and transparency of the accounting transactions as possible.
- Staff Support - Assist the Senior Pastor and other staff to the extent possible with financial functions.
- Payroll Processing - Semi-monthly generation of paychecks and distribution to 15 employees using QuickBooks. Recording of payroll entries in the general ledger.
- Tax Reporting - Preparation and filing of required State and Federal monthly, quarterly, and annual tax statements. Payment of required tax payments. Payroll Records Filing and storage of confidential payroll records.
- Accounts Payable - Maintain the Vendor File. Processing of invoices and issuance of bank payments and/or checks. Recording transactions in QuickBooks. Payment of standard monthly church commitments. Filing of payment documents. Issue manual checks as required. Processing of weekly Receipts. Work with the Financial Secretary to count the weekly giving. Record the deposit in the bank and in QuickBooks. Member Giving Record weekly giving by congregation members in the Church Windows church management software and issue quarterly and annual reports.
- Bank Reconciliations - Monthly validation of banking records and reconciling to QuickBooks records. Reporting Closing transactions each month and reporting standard reports thru QuickBooks. Prepare special reporting on certain accounts monthly.
- General Ledger - Maintain the Chart of Accounts. Routinely review account balances to assure they are correct. Prepare correcting entries and other entries such as depreciation as directed.
- Year End Processing - Review accounts for any corrections before final reports are published, Follow the procedures required by QuickBooks to start a new year of transactions.
- Audits - Assist the Finance and Stewardship Committee in the annual audits.
- Budgets - Assist the Finance and Stewardship Committee in preparation of the annual budget and five year plan.
- Accounting Manual - Routinely review the church accounting manual and recommend updates to the Finance and Stewardship Committee.
- Safe Deposit Box - Serve as primary custodian of the church safe deposit box. Maintain a current inventory.