Working Title: Office Assistant
Job Type: Part-Time
Position Number: WG1GMU
Recruit Number: STF11748
Working Hours: Mon - Fri (9AM - 5PM)
Location: Fairfax, VA
Salary: $18-$20/hour commensurate with experience
For Full Consideration, Apply by: 05/19/2023
Posting Date: 05/04/2023
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled?: Yes
Telework Friendly?: No
Office Assistant (Multiple-Hire Recruit)
George Mason University, University Life (UL), seeks a pool of professionals to fill ongoing part-time (29 hours/week) administrative needs. Positions will include a variety of administrative responsibilities and will vary based on candidate qualifications and the needs of respective units. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
Incumbent(s) will be responsible for a range of administrative tasks under the direction of unit staff within University Life. Role may include but not be limited to:
- Computer/database responsibilities such as label making or organization of files, spreadsheets, digital images and documents;
- Purchasing/procurement and billing reconciliation,
- Managing day-to-day office operations (i.e., phone and equipment coordination, event scheduling);
- Assist with meeting scheduling;
- Assist with meeting note taking;
- Oversee walk-in traffic and phone calls;
- Provision of information and materials to students, faculty and staff;
- Planning, set-up, and execution of events and initiatives as needed;
- Periodic support with Mason travel authorization process; and
- Assist with interviewer note taking.
Additional administrative and programmatic support duties will be assigned by divisional and/or unit staff. Applicants should desire working in a fun, student-focused team environment where priorities change rapidly and customer service, as well as effective communication, is considered essential.
- Demonstrated communication and customer service skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Collaborative team-player;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint Ability to prioritize work; and
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible.
- Prior experience working in a higher education environment;
- Prior experience with purchasing and procurement within a government or state agency;
- Prior experience with event planning and scheduling;
- Prior experience with project management; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Teams, Canva, and other common applications and platforms.
For confidentiality purposes, the incumbent may not be a current student at George Mason University.For best consideration, applicants must be available to work a minimum of 20 hours a week; preference will be given to candidates available 24-29 hours a week. Some remote work may be an option and will be determined by the requirements of the assigned unit. Cover letter and resumé should indicate interest in specific job responsibilities listed within this posting. Selected candidates will be matched with roles that are most aligned with skills, experience, and interests.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter and resume.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.