Utilities Plant Supervisor-Journey - 904103
Utilities Plant Supervisor-Journey
Vacancy #: 904103
Recruitment Range: $31,200-$55,333
Anticipated Hiring Range: $36,833-$54,834
Closing Date: 06/10/2022
Organizational Unit Overview
Facilities Services is a unit in Campus Operations Division, which is a part of a broad, diverse division of Administration and Finance that includes all aspects of facilities management at East Carolina University. East Carolina University is the third largest university in the University of North Carolina system with approximately 28,000 FTS and a staff of over 6,000. The university is comprised of more than 7 million square feet of facilities located on approximately 1400 acres with physical assets in excess of $1.5 billion. This includes the Main, Health Sciences, and West Research Campuses, and satellite locations throughout North Carolina associated with university programs. Facilities Services has an annual budget in excess of $30 million and employs approximately 500 FTE. Major functions include facilities maintenance and housekeeping services.
Facilities Service’s primary purpose is to plan and perform corrective and preventive maintenance functions on all building structures and equipment and utility infrastructure. Corrective maintenance returns equipment to optimal design performance after failure or upon degradation from age, adverse operation conditions, etc. Preventive maintenance minimizes equipment failures and reduces corrective maintenance.
The primary duty of the Utilities Plant Supervisor is to operate and maintain the Steam Plant which serves the Main Campus. The Steam Plant consists of four boilers that provide steam to campus buildings for heating, domestic hot water, humidification, research equipment and cooking. The Supervisor is responsible for effective and efficient operations to ensure production of steam and safety of plant operations to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and guests. This includes staging of boilers to meet demand, responding to alarms, completing boiler logs, providing routine boiler maintenance, performing routine water testing and making chemical adjustments, etc. This position supervises five Boiler Operators working rotating shifts to maintain continuous coverage for 24/7 operation of the Steam Plant. It is also responsible for maintaining fuel inventory for the Steam Plant boilers and for the University’s vehicles and other equipment that are fueled at the Steam Plant. This is an essential position for adverse weather response.
High School diploma or equivalency and four years of experience in applicable utility operations, of which one year is supervisory; or equivalent combination of training and experience. Requires certification(s).
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- At least five years of experience with operation and/or maintenance of mechanical equipment in a commercial or industrial setting
- At least two years of experience operating/maintaining large steam boilers
- At least one year of supervisory experience
License or Certification required by the Department
- Valid NC Driver’s License is required or must be obtained within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
Special Instructions to Applicant
- Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application. Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
- If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
- Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Application Types Accepted
Applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by the closing date of 06/10/2022 to be considered. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy #904103 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. If highest degree earned is from an institution outside of the U.S. and its territories, final candidates are required to have their degree validated as equivalent to the degree conferred by a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/50921