Utility ClerkCity of West Richland
City of West Richland
Under general supervision of the Accounting Manager, performs a variety of general administrative duties including billing and collection of utility revenues generated by the City. This position requires strong customer service skills and the ability to communicate in person and on the phone. In addition, written communication skills are required in preparing correspondence, e-mail, and informational documents. Serves as back-up to the Utility Billing Specialist.
This position performs administrative duties including billing and collection of utility revenues. Strong customer service skills desired. Monday Friday 40 hours per week $3,000 - $3,500 month depends on qualification. Comprehensive Benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Promotes positive public relations.
- Creates new City utility accounts and maintains current accounts for the City’s water, sewer, irrigation, stormwater and garbage utilities.
- Processes meter readings, billings and customer accounts.
- Responds to inquiries regarding fees, delinquencies, disconnections, re-reads and general procedural information.
- Prepares and reviews delinquency notices prior to mailing.
- Creates, maintains and updates utility account information and records as well as general consumption and financial data for statistical purposes.
- Investigates billing discrepancies, assists with processing past due notices, processing billing and fines as related to utility billing and cross-connection activities.
- Assists in coordinating with meter reader and cross-connection specialist to maintain status of account activities and compliance issues.
- Reads, interprets, applies and explains codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- May assist with preparing monthly activity reports.
- Performs other front desk functions including cash receipting and daily deposit preparation, license issuance, and providing general information about the City.
- Transcribes and types letters, memoranda, reports, tabulation, and other materials.
- Assists in the maintenance of records and files.
- Researches and analyzes technical data.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Ability to type at the rate of 40 words per minute.
- Ability to make routine arithmetic computations and tabulations accurately and with reasonable speed.
- Ability to learn assigned clerical tasks readily within a reasonable training period, and to adhere to prescribed departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain correspondence, files, and reports.
- Must be able to perform customer account and sub ledger reconciliations.
- Must be able to work in situations with hostile customers while adhering to prescribed departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to operate the telephone in a clear, well-modulated voice using good diction.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently.
- Ability to operate equipment such as a computer, photocopier, electronic spreadsheets, word processing, and integrated accounting systems
High School diploma or equivalent, two years of office/clerical experience, bookkeeping and/or billing experience desired.