GIS Utility SpecialistCity of Walla Walla
GIS Utility Specialist
Opening Date: February 28, 2018
Salary Range: $3,992 - $5,096 per month
Nature Of Position:
Assist in maintaining the Geographic Information System (GIS) and support the GIS operations for the City; supply related GIS information to internal and external customers.
Supervision Received: General direction and oversight is provided by the GIS Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City's core values: Customer Focus - Excellence - Stewardship - Communication - Leadership - Integrity
2. Research and prepare, digitize and input information into the GIS and CAD systems.
3. Assist the GIS Supervisor with coordination and promoting use of GIS systems and products among field and office personnel throughout City departments.
4. Improve and document processes to assist in the development and support of GIS.
5. Utilize system computers, software and programming skills to support and maintain the GIS, CAD and network systems; respond to requests for computer support from other Divisions.
6. Create reports, maps and other products for agency departments using GIS and CAD system technology; provide information and support for GIS users.
7. Respond to and assemble sewer, storm, water, planning services, and related GIS information requests from the public, contractors and other agencies; assemble, evaluate and interpret information to assure compliance to the customer requests.
8. Ability to read and accurately document and digitize (COGO) legal descriptions.
9. Audit and maintain standards for various databases associated with GIS.
10. Ability to manage and accurately report on multiple projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Geographic Information System concepts, programs, methodology, and implementation. - Computer-aided drafting software and hardware.
- Municipal code and standard plans for the City; laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities; City/County organization, operations, policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Principles and practices of civil engineering, field surveying, field-to-office data collection, computer-aided mapping and computer-aided design.
- Methods, techniques, and instruments used in engineering drafting, surveying and mathematics including algebra and geometry.
- Read, review and understand engineering plans and specifications; interpret plans and survey notes.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; develop written reports; maintain records.
- Maintain the GIS maps and database and records of GIS source documents.
- Examine requests for mapping products and determine method of GIS or CAD to meet the request.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Develop methodology, analyze user needs and produce special data products.
Tools And Equipment Used GIS software and hardware; computer-aided drafting software and hardware.
Physical Demands Sitting and standing for extended periods of time; seeing, hearing and speaking to exchange information; repetitive hand movements; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; intermittently stand, walk, kneel down, stoop, bend at the waist and lift up to 20 pounds.
Work Environment Indoor environment; driving a vehicle to conduct work; subject to seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions. Work Environment
Required Minimum Qualifications Any combination equivalent to: Associate degree in GIS technology and two years increasingly responsible in GIS and CAD technology; or GIS training as a part of a higher education curriculum with a combination of training and/or job experience that provides the required knowledge and skills. Valid State driver's license.
Desired Qualifications Bachelor's degree; experience in Database Analysis (SQL); legal description and COGO experience; bilingual in Spanish.